Figs are seasonalthat are found in the western parts of Asia. However, dried figs are always available. The figs tree is a member of mulberry family.
Health benefits of figs can be attributed to the presence of, vitamins and fibre in them. Figs contain , , , , , , , , and chlorine.
A few of its health benefits include:
- Prevent constipation: There are 5 grams ofper three-fig serving. So, it helps in healthy bowel function and prevents constipation.
- Weight loss: Thein figs also helps to reduce weight and is recommended for obese people. Take care - figs also result in weight gain, especially when consumed with .
- Lower cholesterol: Figs contain Pectin, a soluble fiber. When fiber goes through the digestive system, it mops up globes of cholesterol and carries them out of body.
- Prevent coronary heart disease: Dried figs contain phenol, Omega-3 and Omega-6. These fatty acids reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Prevent colon: The presence of fiber helps to mop up and usher out causing substances.
- Protection against post-menopausalcancer: Fiber content in figs give protection against cancer.
- Good for diabetic patients: The American Diabetes Association recommends figs for a high fiber treat. Fig leaves reduce the amount of insulin needed by diabetic patients who have to take insulin injection. Fig is rich in Potassium. Potassium helps to control blood sugar. Fig leaves have anti-diabetic properties.
- Prevention of hypertension: People used to take morein the form of salt. Low and high sodium level may lead to hypertension. Figs are high in but low in sodium. So, it helps to avoid hypertension.